Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I know it is still January, but I have been wanting to clean up my fabric for a long time now, I have been putting it off, because I knew I wanted to use the fabric to make gifts that I would have, but i was still waiting for creative inspiration! So last night I had a little bit.  I am going to make a Rag quilt with my fleece leftovers. Here is a link to a great tutorial on how to make a rag quilt. Since I am using fleece I will not be doing two layers, or putting batting in the middle.  There is an intersection that I always go past when we go shopping that always has a homeless person, I hate to just hand them money-because of the natural judgmental woman in me- so I decided that I would make a blanket to hand to them next time I am out-and if they really are homeless a nice warm blanket would be better then money right????  I was hoping I would be able to make a couple with my scrapes, but I was only able to get one -guess I didn't have as many scrapes as I thought :).  

I ended up cutting my squares 5x5 and the full quilt I did 10squares by 15. That is not the way i am going to lay it out, I was just trying to figure out how big I needed it. I think I will just do this one random, with the border in the green.


My next project is to make some baby quilts for my daughters babies.  I think I will have enough to make a couple, and I it will be easy to machine quilt them since they will be so little.  
Another idea I had was to make these cute little "love" birds.  Aren't those the cutest!! I have plans for them later. . .:)
and also maybe make a few of these
I love the cube and the elephant. I am hoping to put them in a box to save for gifts for baby showers. . . I need some boy gifts :)
I also thought of making a bunch of bags, it's always fun to have a homemade bag to take a gift in or to even give as a gift. My sister did a tutorial for a really cute bag here.
Well with all those ideas. . .I'm off to get to work!
What are you going to make with your scrapes??

No comments: