Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kitchen Re-do

Have you ever read those post where whoever is writing it, was driving down the road and found a great treasure that they just couldn't pass up???  I ALWAYS thought to myself and you might of too. . ."that never happens to me". . .finding something great on the side of the road. . .I am here to tell you not to give up. . .because it does happen!!

A few months before Christmas I was heading over to a friends house for girls night out, I drove down her street a little bit to turn around, and there I saw it. . .
and it really happens like they all say. . .Your heart skips a beat, a light comes down and shines on it and you hear faintly the sound of what you can only describe as angels singing.

I stopped and just starred at it for a while, I hesitated just getting out and shoving it in my car, one it looked pretty heavy, and two my mom had always taught me that stealing is wrong.  I kept telling myself that it wasn't stealing if it was thrown out for trash, but I just couldn't take it. . . so I went up to the door to see if anyone was home.  No one answered so I wrote a note and shoved it in my car, hoping I wouldn't have to bring it back.  Later I got a call from the owner who had made it for his daughters 20 years ago, and he was happy I had taken it!!!
I knew this would be perfect for my youngest for her birthday, I set it aside and told myself I couldn't work on it until after Christmas. . .it was hard to do, but the week after we got back from vacation I started working on it.

I cleaned it all up and painted it the turquoise color in the playroom.  I lightly brushed the brown over it to make it look "old" :) love that look!!  I also knew I wanted to use the red so I thought red polka dots would be super cute.  I got the fabric and surged around the edges. I gathered the top and hooked it to a strip of ribbon to give it more stability.  I then tacked it up on the underside of the wood.  I was going to do a spring rod, but I knew the kids would just pull it down, I am hoping this way it holds up better!


 I spray painted the faucet red. . .I was a little worried that it wouldn't work, but it turned out great.  I took it all apart and sprayed each piece, and then when it was all dry I put it back together again.  All the parts still move, and I love the red!!
 I bought I cute little nob for the front of the oven.
 I had a little white basket laying around so I thought it would be perfect for her to keep her washcloths ,  tablecloths and place mats I made for her.  I have a bigger basket for under the sink to store all the dishes when not in use.  On the right hand side originally it was a stove, but for Christmas my Dad made my little girl a super cute portable stove, so I left it blank, so she would have a spot to set her stove, and to play.  I just love the polka dots and how it looks, so simple, but I know she will love it!!
Keep your eyes open for treasures. . .you never know when you're going to find yours!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! It's awesome that the guy you 'stole' it from was happy to have it used again :)

Nat said...

That is AWESOME!