Monday, January 24, 2011

Shopping the Thrift Stores

I am going to step up here on my soap box and tell you my two sense on thrift shopping for decorations.  Remember this is only my opinion.  I have not had any school or professional training in this area, nor do I claim to be an interior decorator. . .but I have learned a few things.  Now a couple of years ago I would of told you that you can't find good things at the thrift store to use in decorating. . .and if you could you have a rare talent. . . while I still think there are those select few you have a rare talent of seeing something un-useful and making it useful and amazingly cool, . . . I feel I am learning a few tricks of my own.  First when you go into the thrift store make sure your not looking for something specific, or you won't find it.  Look for shapes and textures, because trust me when I say this-you can spray paint just about EVERYTHING!!  Before I left to go thrift shopping I had two things in mind, I wanted to get some "silver" things and I wanted some tall things.
 The silver bowls were probably my best find!!  I am going to leave those as is-love them- The pizza thing I am thinking I might need to paint it green (as you will see in a later photo).  The wood serving thing I spray painted also.
 This thing (I think it's an old trash can cover thing they used to have without the bottoms) anyway I loved the texture of it, and I knew I could spray paint it, so I didn't hesitate to pick it up. 

 There it is all painted!!  I love how you can still see all the texture.
 Old books are a must for me-they have so many uses so I never pass those up-This one I painted silver and tied a yellow ribbon around it-
Also don't be afraid if something is dirty or rusty. . .you can either clean it up or leave it to add to the character of the room.
That little tin up front is rusted, and when you pick up the lid it sounds like there is sand or rocks in it, but I still got it. . .why? . . .because it's silver, so cute, and just the perfect thing to hold stuff that I find in pockets.  The big jar was a gift from my mom (where I am going to keep my dryer sheets), and the other jar was a thrift store find. . .jars like that are a never pass up!!!

And here it is all put together.  I love this side of the room.  I love the height of everything the touches of color to pull it all together, and the pieces of silver and clear.  I know there are probably people out there that would say this is alllllllll wrong, but I think it looks great and hey I'm on the soap box right now :)!
 This side is struggling a little bit. . . .that is why I am thinking to make the pizza thing green. .  .but I would also like a little more texture added to it so I am still thinking.  I also think it needs something taller. . .still working on that to. . . I do love the tin. . . this was given to us full of cookies. . . we ate the cookies and I was about to throw the tin away when I thought "this would look great in the laundry room" :)
Okay I think I have spent my fair time on the soap box.  I hope what I shared will help you in your adventures at the thrift store!

1 comment:

Christy said...

OH my gosh Kim!! I love how you did that! You are so creative..I want to go thrift store shopping with you!