Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recovering an Ironing Board

After talking to my mom she informed me that there are a lot of tutorials to recovering your ironing board on the internet, I should of probably read a few of them. . . it would of saved me some time, I still  decided that I would post about my experience, just if you care to learn from it. 
 First I took off the cover and removed the padding.
My cover had a string around the edge that you just pulled tight.  I decided that this would be easy to recreate so I just pulled the string out so I could re-use it.
 I then layed my cover down on the right side of the fabric and cut it out.
 Here is where I could of saved myself a lot of time.  In my mind I thought I would zig zag along the edge and then just feed the string through the zig zag with a safety pin. 
1. I should of used a wider zig zag
Because after I got done sewing the safety pin wouldn't fit through the threads, and I ended up having to use a needle, and it kept catching on the fabric. It took me a while to feed it all the way around that way.
2. I should of just put the string through the zig zag as I sewed so I wouldn't have to feed it through the whole thing.
After I finally got it all threaded. I set the padding and the cover on top the ironing board, and pulled the string and tightened it around the edges.
 Despite my mishaps-it ended up working out and I love that it matches the laundry room!!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

That turned out so great! I have always wondered how to do that! Thanks for sharing :)