Monday, October 4, 2010

Shooo Fly Don't Bother Me

So I thought that it would be a fun idea to dress my children up so that they go together. I was going to do Peter Pan, but I thought that my in-laws were going to dress up in Peter Pan characters. So I thought what could I do so that I can make my daughter (Princess P) a tutu. So I came up with a very girly fly... and my son is going to be an exterminator. I thought that this was a pretty good idea. I made the wings with a wire hanger, cheap tights, and glitter. The total cost fo the wings were 3.50. What you do is shape your hangers then tie the ends together with yarn, leave a string out so that you can tie them together. Tie them together and then you take cheap tights... you know the ones that come in the gum ball containers. You can buy them for fifty cents. Knee highs work great! You cover your forms then you sew the ends shut. Glue where you want glitter, and add the gitter. You then could add elastic for arm holes, or I did ribbon so the front of her costume had a little more to it.

The bug eyes are so easy. You take a foam ball the size you want and cut it in half then you add the sequence of your choice. I chose ones with pink to match the glitter I needed some girl colors.


Then I attatched the eyes to another knee high that I had sewn together. For the headband you cut each end off and then sew it together so that it makes a circle. I like to sew it so it is squished, and you get some bunching... that is so cute. The eyes cost me about 4 dollars.
 The tutu is just an elastic that is cut to her size and sewn together. Then I took two yards of tulle and cut it into 2 to 2 1/2 inch strips then I cut those strips into four sections. I tied two strips together on the elastic band. I did that all the way around that is how you get the full look. The total cost of the tutu was about 4 dollars.
So the total cost of this adorable fly costume is 11.50!
And the black tutu is totally reusable!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Your little fly looks adorable! I was wondering how you made the fly cute and girly! Love it! You're awesome!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

That is so cute!!! i love the eye balls hehehe-she is looking more and more like ty-kell! Can't wait to see you guys!