Friday, November 5, 2010

Turkey Placemats

I made these turkeys with a bunch of friends.  I wasn't the one with the pattern, and I am not sure where the pattern came from, so I can give credit.  But I thought they turned out so cute, and it would be a simple thing to copy, even without the pattern.  The shapes are very basic.
What you will want to do is get heat n' bond aka wonder under.  You will want to make all your shapes on the heat and bond, cut around them, and then iron it on to the back of the fabric you want to use. Then cut out the actual shape.  After you have all the shapes cut, peel off the heat n bond, and layer them how you want on to a piece of fabric.  I used just a simple muslin.  Make sure you hold the iron on long enough to make them all stick. Then cut the turkey out, so you can't see any of the backing.

 For the stitching I hand stitched using embroidery floss around the feet, face, gobble and eyes. Then used my sewing machine and a basic zig-zag to do around the body and the feathers. 
These were super easy and went together fast, they only thing is the hand sewing, but I just took it when I sat and watched my daughter at the gym.

I plan on using them at Thanksgiving with a fun tablecloth and accessories, but for now they are enjoying our table.


4 comments:

Nat said...

Those look so fun!

Cassie said...

I am so going to have to try those! They are so cute!

Connie~ said...

I love these.... I'm thinking the grandkids would love them too!

Christy said...

So cute kim!! I love those. I totally want to make those now.. but I really don't know how...even after the directions I am thinking to myself, "huh??"-with a puzzled look on my face. ;/
hehe.