Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hats Anyone?

Last year I made these cute pilgrim hats, out of felt.  They turned out really cute.  I don't have step by step pictures so I will try to explain as best as I can.
Boy Pilgrim Hat:  I measured the head and made a circle that size.  Then draw a circle two to three inches bigger.  You now will have two circles, the smaller one inside the bigger one.  Then you cut out the smaller circle,and cut around the big circle, so you will now have a ring, two to three inches wide.  You will now made a rectangle that has the long side the same length as the circumference of the head, plus enough for the seam.  So for example I measure my kids head and it is 22 inches.  I would now cut a rectangle 23 inches long, which gives you 22 inches, plus a half an inch seam for each side.  You will now add your embellishments, like the belt strip and the buckle, then you will put the rectangle right side together and sew down the short side-it will now look like a tube.  Right side together sew the tube top to the circle base and turn.  I cut down the back side of the hat so it looked a little more "pilgrimy" instead of a top hat. 
Girls Pilgrim Hat:  Measure the girls head from cheek to cheek and any extra length you want to hang down the sides.  Then cut a rectangle.  Make a casing on both long sides of the rectangle. For the casing on the back you can make it little-it just needs to be wide enough to fit the elastic in.  Pull the elastic tight so that it will gather and make a little "pocket" for the head.  
If you have kids coming to your thanksgiving this is a fun thing to have!

No comments: